Position: Copy Editor
Job ID: Copy Editor
Date Listed: May 13, 2020
Job Title: Copy Editor
Reports to: Associate Creative Director
Who you are:
A judicious, detail-oriented copy editor with extensive experience editing copy for diverse audiences. You desire nothing more than to copy edit copious amounts of copy, ensuring that it’s biblically sound, engaging, and empowering. Equally analytical and creative, your eagle eye and brilliant mind are highly esteemed in the creative community. You effortlessly manage multiple projects and priorities under tight deadlines. You’re the consummate team player who works well with graphic designers, copywriters, and copy editors, among others.
What you’ll do:
- Ensure copy is copacetic for one of the nation’s most influential ministries, aligning efforts with marketing and creative strategies and tactics across websites, blogs, social media, and email
- Collaborate with creative team to develop compelling digital content that helps our ministry tell its story.
- Support associate creative director in editing and maintaining creative briefs, content outlines, editorial calendars, shot lists, content for storyboards, brand identity guides, and copywriting style guide.
- Aid associate creative director in grooming blog posts, videos, and static images for SEO keywords.
- Enforce in-house style and AP style best practices for consistency across all touchpoints.
- Perform website audits quarterly to ensure content remains relevant, in collaboration with associate creative director, IT, and digital and marketing teams.
- Collaborate with diverse teams, including TV production to edit scripts and captions, among other copy.
- Build and maintain rapport, working closely with teams across creative, digital, marketing, as well as with executives, internal stakeholders, and vendors to achieve positive outcomes.
- Cultivate trust and professionalism, proactively communicating potential roadblocks with associate creative director, internal stakeholders, executives, and digital and marketing teams.
- Stay abreast of industry best practices, setting benchmark for excellence in copy editing.
- Evaluate copy editing trends and identify areas of opportunities to elevate messaging across touchpoints.
- Serve as subject matter expert, assisting copywriters and others with nuances related to in-house style, tone, and voice.
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing, public relations, writing, or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in copy editing, preferably within an ad agency environment.
- Versed in AP style; familiar with Chicago Manual of Style; and can acclimate to in-house style.
- Exceptional copy editing skills, including mastery of proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar.
- Digitally savvy, with an SEO copy editing background preferred; proficient in MS Office suite and WordPress.
- Progressive portfolio showcasing copy editing in varying tones and voices.
- Penchant for transforming dry copy into compelling copy for diverse audiences across websites, blogs, emails, and social media.
- Copy editing background includes working for nonprofit clients, preferably for faith-based audiences.
- Talent for ensuring short- and long-form copy is biblically sound, engaging, and empowering.
- Strong attention to detail, well-organized, deadline driven, and excellent time management skills.
- Proactively seeks solutions to complex challenges and communicates potential roadblocks ahead of deadlines.
- Demonstrates solid critical thinking skills and psychological understanding to ensure that copy is intentional, sincere, and clever.
- Excellent communicator and attentive listener in group and one-on-one settings.
- Thrives in fast-paced, high-stress environments, managing multiple projects and priorities concurrently.
- Extensive experience working alongside graphic designers.
- Passionate about copy editing and creativity; enjoys elevating copious copy under tight deadlines.
- Confident and humble spirit; works well independently and collaboratively to produce award-worthy work.
- Work for an organization whose mission is to change lives
- Comprehensive benefit package including 401(k)
- Health Insurance: Medical, Dental, Vision
- Paid time off, plus holidays (and even your birthday!)
- Life Insurance
- Company values work-life balance
- Wear jeans to work every day (unless you have an important meeting of course!)
In 1996, Bishop T.D. Jakes moved his church of 50 families from Charleston, W.Va. to Dallas and founded The Potter’s House church. Today more than 30,000 members comprise this multiracial, nondenominational church with nearly 60 active ministries. The ministries include programs for teenage mothers and abused women, a homeless outreach, a GED literacy program, an outreach for drug and alcohol abusers, and an AIDS ministry. Another highlight of The Potter’s House is the Prison Outreach Ministry. More than 325 prisons in 35 states have been impacted through this ministry. The ministry’s primary focus is to equip individuals by providing practical avenues for re-entering society. To learn more, visit www.thepottershouse.org.
T.D. Jakes Ministries is an equal opportunity employer; we provide equal opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, or disability.